Self-Introduction Formal Letter(Edited)

Dear Professor Brad,

I am SeongUng from Singapore Institute of Technology (SIT) Mechanical Engineering year 1. I am writing this letter to introduce myself and we can have the opportunity to get to know more about each other.

When I was deciding on the diploma course to pursue in polytechnic, my dad recommended me to join aerospace engineering and said that it is suitable for me and that I would be able to do well since I liked mathematics and science. Fortunately, I graduated from Republic Polytechnic with a diploma in Aerospace Engineering, with good results, and decided to pursue further education in University to boost my aerospace knowledge. I joined SIT mechanical engineering course because my applications for all aerospace courses, which I am interested in, were rejected. But I hope to learn a wider range of engineering and about various engineering industries in this course.

My hobby is something unique about me compared to others. I play baseball in Singapore with other like-minded Koreans. In Singapore, baseball is neither a well-known nor a popular sport. However, in Korea it is a very popular sport, which I’ve been playing for 13 years and counting..

In my opinion, Republic Polytechnic courses are very interactive, projects and presentations focused. This helped me communicate effectively and voice out my opinions in small group settings. I am also comfortable leading such groups.

However, my weaknesses in communication skills would be when I have a lack of rehearsal for my presentations, it makes me stutter. If I do not prepare well enough myself, I will not be confident in my content and become nervous very easily. 

My goals for this module are to learn structural and mental preparation and to hone my public speaking skills. I would try to take all the opportunities to practice giving speeches and presentations for projects. I hope I can have more confidence in speaking out and have an interactive presentation with the audience.

Thank you for your time to read and hope to hear from you during class.

Best regards,

SeongUng      

 

 

Comments

  1. Hi Seong Ung, it's disheartening to hear that you can't get into any aerospace courses. I hope you can find some interest in mechanical engineering. The way you portray your letter is a little negative and I hope you can find some other hobby to play with your new friends in Singapore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Matthew,

      Thank you for your comment and reading my post. I am grateful for your worry on me. I will try to find some positive things in my life!

      Best regards,
      SeongUng

      Delete
  2. Hi Seong Ung, it is great that you have a positive mindset and learning attitude. I relate very much to what you wrote about the lack of practice for presentations leading to nervousness and decrease in confidence. I am sure that everyone feels that way when they are not well-prepared. This is why it is important to rehearse and there is no such thing as being too prepared!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear XinYi,

      Thank you for your comment and reading my post. I am glad that you also shared your opinion about presentations. I will try to do my best for presenatation.

      Best regards,
      SeongUng

      Delete
  3. Dear Seong Ung, thank you for sharing about your experience with us. I'm sorry to hear that you didn't get the course of your first choice. However, as an undergraduate from mechanical engineering, you would have plenty of opportunity to branch out into an industry of your choice.

    I would love to hear more about baseball from our interactions in the upcoming weeks. I wish you could've shared more and done a better job of illustration as I could tell you're very passionate about it.

    It's great to hear how your course of study in RP helped to instil confidence in communicating and leading smaller groups. I'm sure this would help you tremendously in transitioning to university. As for facing struggle when it comes to open presentations and speeches, it is something everyone here could relate to. We all could do with plenty of practice as you've stated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Thiyagu,

      Thank you for your comment and reading my post. I am grateful for your truthful comment that you pointed out some improvements. I hope to see you and discuss more in class.

      Best regards,
      SeongUng

      Delete

  4. Dear Seong Ung,

    Thank you for this richly detailed letter. It's clear, concise and highly informative. You do a good job covering the scope of the assignment brief as you detail your educational background, interest in engineering, passion for baseball, comm skills levels and module aims.

    It's especially interesting for us readers to learn about your participation in baseball, though you might have added how even in a team sport like that, communication is important. For example, it's essential for players like the pitcher and catcher to have good connection as they confront a batter. In fact, no matter the position a person plays, communication with teammates is vital. It would be interesting to know what position you do play and hear about this.

    This letter is also quite fluent, though there are a couple minor language issues to take note of:

    1. lack of language clarity
    -- I am writing this letter to introduce myself and have the opportunity to get to know more about each other. > (What's the subject of the verb 'have'? In short, who has what opportunity?)

    2. overuse of caps
    -- When I was deciding on the diploma course to pursue in Polytechnic, my dad recommended me to join Aerospace Engineering and said that it is suitable for me and that I will be able to do well since I liked Mathematics and Science. > ?
    When I was deciding on the diploma course to pursue in polytechnic, my dad recommended me to join aerospace engineering and said that it is suitable for me and that I WOULD be able to do well since I liked mathematics and science.

    -- to pursue further education in University > ?

    -- I joined SIT Mechanical Engineering course because my applications for all aerospace courses, which I am interested in, were rejected. > ?

    3. sentence structure
    -- However, it is a very popular sport in Korea of which I’ve been playing for 13 years and counting. > However, in Korea it is a very popular sport, which I’ve been playing for 13 years and counting.

    -- However, my weaknesses in communication skills would be when I have a lack of rehearsal for my presentations, which tend to make me stutter. > (Who tends to stutter?)

    4. need for transition
    -- Republic Polytechnic courses are very interactive, projects and presentations focused. This helped me communicate effectively and voice out my opinions in small group settings. I am also comfortable leading such groups. > (need for a transition phrase to start this paragraph)

    I'm sure I speak for everyone in class when I say it will be good to hear more from you in the coming weeks.

    Best wishes,

    Brad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear professor,

      Thank you for your comment and reading my post. I will try to improve on further with you advices.

      Best regards,
      SeongUng

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Unit 1 - Task 3 Paraphrasing

Critical Reflection